Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Wat's Up?

Yesterday, the team took a 5-hour drive to Siem Reap. Siem Reap is the most heavily visited city in Cambodia by tourists because it's home to Angkar Wat, the largest Buddhist temple in the world. I can't post many pictures of the temple because I don't have my laptop with me but I uploaded one just so you can see it. It stands almost 200ft tall and took over 37 years to build with 400,000 workers. The size was amazing, but the interior carving in the sandstone was unbelievable. The standstone was transported by Elephant and raised by hand and pulleys, then traced, printed and carved. The detail, over a thousand years later is still amazing.


The poverty level of the people of this country hit me very hard today. As we left one of the temples, we were surrounded by people trying to sell us their goods. From old to young, they were relentless...even pushing their way into the vans and trying to stick their hands through the windows. We were told that most of the kids have no education and therefore, have nothing else to do in order to make money.

Before today, I knew the statistic that about 90% of the country is Buddhist, but I didn't undertstand how entrenched the country was in this religion until I saw the history they are so proud of. In the mid 70s, the Pol pot regime, as militant and brutal as they were, refused to destroy Angkar Wat because of the significance of the temple to the country. They feared that destroying it would have caused a revolt of such magnitude, they would lose political control.

After seeing the scale of the buildings and knowing the amount of people who worked on the project, I couldn't help but think how many men probably spent much of their entire life building this temple. Yes, they gave all of themselves to create a magnificent structure for a God who doesn't even exist. In the midst of the awe I felt, I couldn't help but feel sadness as well. I walked away thankful...knowing that everything I do, I do for the living, breathing God of all creation. He's not represented in a statue or building. He lives in me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing pitures. I can't wait to see the rest of them when you get back.
Love ya and miss you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul,

Amazing accounts of your journeys. We can feel like we are right there with you. May God continue to just give you more amazing "glimpses" of himself through the precious people there.
marlee

The Gang's Momma! said...

What a great insight to the hopelessness of a life without Jesus. And what a privilege that we get to be HIS friends. HIS Bride! Wow. . . Thanks for sharing the pics - such an amazing journey you are having!

Rascal came to visit today and fell in the pool :) That dog is too stinkin' cute - even wet and stringy!

We miss you lots.

Anonymous said...

That must have been awesome to see, I cant wait to see the rest of your pics. How were the tarantulas?