Friday, June 22, 2007

CSI-Phnom Penh

No, it’s not what you think it may be. CSI stands for Cooperative Services International and it’s a clinic based in Phnom Penh. We had the pleasure of visiting this clinic today to see what’s being done to meet some of the needs of the Cambodian people. It’s a small clinic, but the workers have large hearts.

Though the clinic does see approx 60 patients per day, the larger goal is to educate and train medical professionals. During the Khmer Rouge regime, we were told that all of the educated people were collected by Pol Pot and executed. This included government officials, teachers, professionals and entertainers (to name a few). As a result, there has been a huge void of qualified teachers across the country over the last 30+ years. According to our guide, World Team’s involvement in the clinic is to help equip the next medical professionals inside the country. Basically, they’re training the people of Cambodia to care for their own people. They do this, though, with the foundation of the gospel. I was encouraged to hear the story of a woman from a distant Province outside Phnom Penh who knew of the clinic due to an earlier visit. When she recognized a man visiting her town from the clinic, she said “I remember you. You’re from the Jesus clinic.”

I’d ask that you all consider praying for this clinic. They’ve apparently lost some funding over the last few years and have been unable to run at full capacity. The result of the reduced funding prevents them from caring for additional patients but more importantly, reduces their ability to train new medical professionals. Full capacity would require a monthly budget of $6-$7,000 per month. Today, they’re operating on half that amount. I was encouraged to hear that in the midst of tight financial resources, God also seems to be putting things in place to begin a new work in the clinic. It reminds me of Jesus’ words to Peter when he said “Upon this rock, I will build my church…” He’s building His church. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We take so much for granted in the united states. When I read your posts I don't always comment because I don't know what to say. I guess I am most struck by how utterly ridiculous we can be in this country. We have everything we could possibily need, yet we are unsatisfied. We have more modern technology, hand held computers, toys galore for our kids, way too much food at every meal, and so much more than that...yet we are unsatisfied. It's that attitude in our culture and in my own heart that makes ME most unsatisfied (and angry at myself). I know I could have a more greatful heart and remember always that true satisfaction comes from knowing Christ. That can sound cliché in the Christian community, but these posts of yours serve as a strong reminder of what's missing for so many people. Not all the stuff and the services we take for granted!
Love ya LOTS
Can't wait till you're home!

Anonymous said...

Hey paul...It has been fun to read you blogs and to get just a small glimpse of Cambodia through your eyes. Most of us may never have the opportunity to travel to Cambodia, but if we look around we can see some sad situations right in our own backyard...Lansdale, PA. We are so blessed to live in the United States and reading your blog only makes me more thankful. I believe that wherever we are, when we look with our eyes wide open there is opportunity to be stretched and used by God. I can see how God is stretching you through this experience and he is using you. Thank you for openly sharing your thoughts. I know it will be encouraging for many to start doing what they can, where they are with what God has given them...and be stretched. You have encouraged me!!

P.S. anyone from CLC, we have an opportunity on Sunday to be used by providing food for Mana on Main St - right in our own backyard, where we are....BE USED

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul...It's Wendy B Sorry, I forgt to tell you who Anonymous was in my comment earlier I'm use to sending emails where the name automatically shows up and I just forgot to sign my name I'm not trying to be anonymous.

gay gloryhole stories said...

If the boysroom had been in the opposite corner of the house, I might never havegot there. He walks over and starts to take off my wifes skirt.
gay nifty stories
dog sex incest stories
schoolgirl spanking and caning stories
daughter incest stories
boy interracial stories
If the boysroom had been in the opposite corner of the house, I might never havegot there. He walks over and starts to take off my wifes skirt.