Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The boy

On our way back from Siem Reap today, we stopped mid-trip for a rest. The facility we stopped at was very nice and provided some great shade from the mid-day heat. You can see the front of the place in this pic (right). Take a closer look at the picture. Can you see something different? What you may have missed is the little boy in the left corner. He’s begging for money but he’s not speaking. He is just sitting there in silence with a basket. If You’re wondering why he isn’t talking, it’s because He’s blind. Getting close to him revealed that it he was born without any eyes.

My heart was arrested by this young boy. I watched a tour bus full of people get out, walk by him and act as if he was not even there. He sat quietly on his mat and waited for some money. Each person walked in and walked out, never acknowledging his presence.

As I watched, I found myself thinking about the lame begger Peter and John encountered as they entered the temple through the gate called beautiful, written about in Acts 3. The man was lame since birth and did not seem to look anyone in the eye (based on Peter’s comment in verse 4). Perhaps he saw himself as insignificant. I’m willing to bet society saw him that way so they probably ignored him. Though he and others may have seen him as worthless, Peter and John looked at him through a different lens; through the lens of Christ. To them, he was a lost sheep in need of the one true shepherd. As a result of their act of faith, they introduced this man to the great physician and he was healed.

The story in Acts is a great story of compassion and obedience. In the midst of this situation, I found myself questioning my own level of compassion for others. I was deeply impacted by the sight of this boy, but to what degree? Was I willing to give him some money? Of course. After all, giving money is pretty easy...especially when the average donation for a Cambodian begger is about 100 riel ($.20 cents). If I was feeling generous, I could even have given him a full dollar.
But what about his spiritual condition? I may have enough compassion to give him money, but do I have enough to introduce him to the great physician...in the midst of a crowd? What if God prompted me to pray for this boy to be healed? Would I do it or would I ignore the prompting, dismissing it as a figment of my imagination?
If the same spirit that raised Jesus from the dead lives in each of us, why is it that we struggle, at times, with proclaiming his truth to others? Do we pray and believe that our great physician can still do the miraculous? If we do, why is it no longer common? Have we limited God by our lack of faith? This experience today has prompted so many questions in me. If I try to look at Christianity from the outside, it does seem slightly ironic that Christians are willing to trust God for salvation and eternal life yet some don’t believe He desires nor is willing to heal in practical ways any longer.

I didn’t write this post to cause tension, I’m just finding myself being stretched to believe and walk out the fullness of God in my life. I think it all comes down to faith. Not cognitive faith, but life-giving, fruit-bearing faith. It’s the kind of faith that is not based on what we believe, think or say; it becomes reality based on what we do. Remember that old addage "Actions speak louder than words?"
Can I say with certainty that God would have healed this boy? Of course not. For me, that's not the point...though I know that Jesus challenged us to love our neighbor as we love ourself. If that's our charge, what should that look like in the case of this blind boy.
I keep thinking of the words of Samuel..."To obey is better than to sacrifce." I'm reminded how God does not need us to accomplish His will, He choses to use us. That's a humble truth for me to grasp. For Him to use us, though, we need to to be available and ready to serve...whatever the task. It forces me to wonder if my reluctance to obey, at times, (especially when things don't makes sense) plays a greater part in the end result then I'm willing to admit.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The boy you saw had no eyes. wow, that's sad!
I love you daddy. Come home soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I've read everyone's blogs to date (6/20 p.m.). Please let the group know I am praying for you all, and have passed around the blog site to faculty, staff, board, and our students.

Blessings in Jesus,
Sherry Kull

Anonymous said...

Its so easy to look back with the "would have" - "should have", but I guarantee that should you come across this situation again you will have that second chance so there will be no "would have"-"should have" conversation with yourself. I have been following your blog everyday, but this story of this boy really moved me. Its not fair that someone, especially a child, would be made to feel less important because they are considered not perfect by earthly standards. But all that have been following your blog know that he is loved, more than he knows. And now he has people that can pray for him. Thank you for sharing your journey!

Anonymous said...

dado says,what you are going thru is really deep. you have to wait on the Lord,it's not up to us and that boy at the gate beautiful was passed by many times by Jesus Himself, the timing was for later & for James /peter to be a part of.It's good to let God stir up our compassion as all the gifts work thru love.you will surely grow from this.we have pryr mtg tonite and we'll be interceding for you.

Anonymous said...

We take every blessing so for granted. We can't imagine the 'lack' since we are so over indulged. Makes you more determined to pray for others that have so much less. What a great spiritual experience. We trust it will change us all for a lifetime.
Be safe. Love Mom O

The Gang's Momma! said...

This was a hard one to read. Here I sit in my comfortable home, knowing I have value to those around me. Knowing that I have what I need and so much more. Am I doing enough with that?

I'm praying for you and trusting the Lord to show you your steps and your point of action. Who knows the depths of the works that the Lord is doing in you and through you?

Thanks for sharing your heart. Miss you tons!

Anonymous said...

Hi Again Paul,
Yesterday, I was at your house, visiting Les. and letting the puppies visit each other. Before I left, Les. asked me if I had read the latest thing you wrote and I told her no, not yet. She said it was a really sad one. I went home and just couldn't bring myself to read it but just now did. Paul, I know you hurt because of seeing that boy and not fully doing what you felt you should. In reality, it is no differant then what I did last night. I knew from Les. that what you wrote was sad and probably about children, so I too, turned my head and CHOSE not to read it till today. I'm glad we have a Father in Heaven who never turns away from any of us. Paul, maybe it's as Mona said... God will show you what to do next time and move upon you to do it, and nothing or no one will be able to stop you! I can't even imagine the things that God is doing in your heart right now. He is performing heart surgery on you, Paul. He is in the process of taking the heart that has already been his and molding it and shaping it to be even more, just like His! And I keep thinking about all that God is allowing you to see and partake in and I have to wonder... What could it be that He is preparing you for, my friend??? I'm excited to watch it all unfold! Still here Praying, looking forward to hearing more...

Jen said...

After I read your comments about the boy I kept thinking about all of the ignored people that we might encounter every day. You know the ones that are "different" from us, who make us feel a little uncomfortable. Perhaps this boy's blindness is to help others, like you, Paul, and all of us who are following along to see. It's just like God to use a blind boy to help us who have eyes to really see what He wants us to see. He created each person exactly how he wanted and He uses all things together for the good of those who love Him and who are called according to His purposes, right? Don't be too hard on yourself about not praying for him.....maybe he needs to be sitting right there until everyone who needs to sees him. What an amazing journey you're on!

Anonymous said...

Pastor Paul,

Great blog and what a great way to find out about your trip while you're there.

I have tons of memories of Ecuador rise up within me while reading about the children and the poverty. We were faced with similar challenges.

Just continue to be open to all that God has for you while you're there.

Prayers & Blessings,
Kris H.